Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
Yes, I know nothing says Christmas less than chocolate and peanut butter, but in my defence, these were meant to go up weeks ago! Umm, yeah, I realise that's not a great defence but also ..., also..., nothing says Christmas like forgiveness and a bit of tolerance, so if you all would just exercise your Christmas spirit and pretend these are Christmassy cupcakes then we all win :)
Whatever you're doing this festive season, however you celebrate, or not, I hope you're surrounded by people you love and you have a wonderful wonderful wonderful few days. Rest like I've been doing a lot of since yesterday at my parents house. Oh. And bake. Because also, nothing says Christmas like the smell of home baking wafting through a house :)
See you in the new year!
Slightly adapted from Sprinkles Bakes
Yield: 12 - 14 cupcakes
1 cup Coca-Cola (Not diet!)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
57g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp plus1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups icing sugar
227g butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 tsp salt
3-4 tbsp double cream
Sea salt for sprinkling
Ground salted peanuts
- Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 180C / Gas mark 4 / 350F. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake wrappers.
- In a small saucepan, heat the Coca-Cola, cocoa powder and butter over a medium heat until butter is melted. Add sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg until just beaten, then whisk it into the cooled cocoa mixture until combined. Gently stir flour mixture into cocoa mixture.
- Use a 1/4 cup measure to pour batter into the cupcake wrappers. Bake cupcakes for 25 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed in the middle.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or with the whisk beaters on a hand mixer), combine icing sugar, butter, peanut butter and salt. Mix on low speed until just combined, then switch to high speed.
- Add double cream one tablespoon at a time and beat until mixture is lightened and smooth. Transfer to a piping bag or a sandwich bag with the corner snipped. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with ground peanuts and a sprinkling of sea salt.