Pages

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Come Dine with Vickii - Greek Salad


Wow! I'm writing a blog post. About salad. Who woulda thunk it? Definitely not my mum who if she is reading this, will be reading it open-mouthed and wide eyed with disbelief. And she'll definitely call me after to say "Wow Vickii, you wrote about salad. I'm very impressed". Actually this is a great test for whether she regularly reads my blog or not - mama, if you read this, call me and tell me how proud you are of me for eating green food!


I do eat force down salads. Just not regularly. And usually for no other reason other than I know they're good for me. That, my friends, should be proof positive of just how good Greek salad is. In Greece, almost every meal is accompanied by a Greek salad; tomatoes full of the taste of summer, beautiful red onion, creamy Greek feta cheese all drizzled with Greek extra virgin olive oil. Y-U-M-M-Y. And bread. Did I forget to mention that Greek salad (and all Greek meals generally) are always accompanied by fresh french stick-style bread cut into chunky slices? The best part of any such meal is the end when all the salad is gone and all that is left is the tomatoey, feta-ey, salty olive oil flavoured juices at the bottom of the salad bowl just begging to be mopped up with a crusty piece of bread ... please give me a minute, I've just been transported to my Yaya's balcony in Xilocastro with the bread and salad juices...

... Okay, I'm back. 

I made this to accompany the Pastitsio for my 'Come Dine with Me' but unfortunately, I gave the bread a miss as I thought my meal was pretty carb-heavy already. I decided to use the recipe in 'My Greek Family Table' as even though I know all the ingredients and usually wing it, I wanted to do it the right way - and I have to say, this was my best effort at a Greek Salad.

ps: You'll find this on most Greek menus as 'Horiatiki salata' which translates into 'Villager's salad'
pps: I'm half Greek, hence the fall back on a Greek menu and references to Greece - I'm not just some strange Greek-o-phile (yeah, yeah, I know it's not a word)

Serves 4

Ingredients
4 large ripe tomatoes
1 cucumber
1 large red onion
18 Kalamata olives
200g Greek feta, sliced through to make two thin slices
sea salt
dried oregano, to taste
extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling

1 - Wash and dry the tomatoes and cucumber. Cut the tomatoes into quarters. Cut the cucumbers into thin rounds
2 - Peel the onion and slice into thin rounds
3 - Combine the tomato, cucumber, onions and olives in a large bowl, sprinkle sea salt and oregano to taste and mix through
4 - Balance the pieces of feta on top, sprinkle a bit more oregano over the feta and drizzle generously with extra virgin olive oil

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lol @ Greek-o-phile, the salad looks so yummy. I will try this out this wkend. Can I use regular olives instead, hopefully I find the Kalamata @ d grocery store.

Ms Afropolitan said...

Laughed at greek-o-phile too. I'm SO loving the savoury dishes. Wow.

I'm sure the dinner was a huge success.

Unknown said...

@ Titi's Passion - I think Kalamata olives are pretty regular. I found them quite easily here and you guys have much more stuff over there. Let me know how it goes!

@Ms Afropolitan - Thank you, I enjoyed it anyway :) I'm afraid, I'm moving off savoury dishes for a while but I'll be back; I promise!